A good movie can entertain and inspire, but a truly great film breaks down barriers and transforms the entire movie industry. Take our quiz to see how much you know about some of the most groundbreaking films in the history of filmmaking!
What year did Cooper and Schoedsack release their groundbreaking version of "King Kong," which set new heights in the world of special effects?
The 1933 version of "King Kong" raised the bar for special effects thanks to the filmmakers' use of stop-motion photography, miniature models and trick camera shots.
What did detractors call "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" before the film was released?
During the three to four years it took to make "Snow White," critics often referred to the film as "Disney's Folly." Not only was the film a box office success when it was released in 1937, but it also broke new ground, becoming the first full-length animated feature with sound and the first film with its own soundtrack album.
How long was the 1903 film "The Great Train Robbery"?
"The Great Train Robbery" managed to make major filmmaking strides in its short 11-minute runtime, serving as one of the first motion pictures to offer a comprehensive narrative, as well as one of the first to shoot scenes out of order then splice them back together.
Which of these films won the Oscar for best picture in 1940?
"Gone With the Wind"
The 1940 Oscars were a tight battle thanks to the many legendary films released the previous year. The best picture award went to "Gone With the Wind," making it the first color film to take this top honor.
Despite a running time of 288 minutes, "Gone With the Wind" was a box-office smash, setting records across the U.S. At the time of its release, it was not only the longest film ever made, but also the most expensive.
Jimmy Stewart agreed to a small salary in "Winchester '73" in exchange for 45 percent of the film's net profits. This strategy not only made Stewart a lot of money, but also served as the first such back-end deal in filmmaking.
True or false: "Jaws" managed to break box-office records despite being shown in only a handful of theaters.
"Jaws" was not only a major blockbuster, but it also changed the way films were released. It was subject to a massive advertising spree and released in 460 theaters on opening weekend, setting a record.
What was the name of the mystical blue people in "Avatar"?
James Cameron used cutting-edge technology to create the Na'vi people of "Avatar." The entire film relied heavily on motion capture, with 40 percent of scenes done with live action and the remaining 60 percent done using CGI.