What were early Celtic Halloween costumes made of?
leaves and mud
Back when Halloween was a brand new holiday, the Celts typically made their costumes from animal skins. They didn’t dress up to go trick-or-treating, though. Those guys dressed up to confuse wandering spirits and avoid being possessed.
to trick ghosts into thinking you were one of them
Long, dark winter nights used to be very frightening, especially on Halloween. Townspeople believed that ghosts wandered the Earth on this unholy night, so they wore masks when they left the house. That way, a passing spirit would think they were a ghost, too, and leave them alone.
A cheap mask of this famous person was used to create Michael Myers's mask in the movie “Halloween.”
“Halloween” was the low-budget horror hit of 1978 and the prop crew had to get creative with the cheapest mask they could find -- a "Star Trek" William Shatner mask. They spray painted it white, teased the hair and reshaped the eyeholes to create the eerily iconic mask that Michael wore.
In “Halloween 3: Season of the Witch” what is the name of the evil mask-making company that plans to kill millions of children on Halloween night?
Silver Shamrock Novelties
Good old Silver Shamrock Novelties is out to get the kiddies with a deadly microchip they place in every mask. It wasn’t the best of the “Halloween” movies, but it made you think twice before buying a jack-o'-lantern mask.
Which character in “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” got a bag of rocks when they went trick-or-treating?
Poor Charlie Brown. First he screws up his ghost costume by cutting too many eye holes and winds up looking like a potato. Then, he goes trick-or-treating and all he comes home with is a bag of rocks. That kid can’t win. Even on Halloween.
When did the modern version of trick-or-treating for candy become popular?
It wasn’t until the 1940s that today’s spin on begging for candy became cool. And even at that time, candy wasn’t the obvious treat. Kids often found their sacks filled with coins, nuts, fruit and toys.
Why did giving out candy at Halloween take an upturn in the 1970s?
Mary Janes were invented
junk food became popular
parents thought homemade treats were dangerous
In the 1970s, Halloween candy became a more popular treat because parents feared that homemade goodies like popcorn balls or candied apples could be poisoned or include hidden razor blades. We can thank paranoia for our Halloween sweet tooth.
According to the National Confectioner’s Association, what percentage of adults sneak a treat from their Halloween candy bowl?
A full 41 percent of you grown-ups can’t resist digging in to the Halloween treats before you hand them out to the kids. We can’t blame you. And we can’t understand how the other 59 percent have such restraint.
Which candy company first started producing candy corn?
Wunderlee was the first company to produce candy corn in the 1880s after employee George Renninger invented it. In 1900, Goelitz followed suit and started producing the tri-colored treat. It still manufactures candy corn today, under the name Jelly Belly Candy Company.