Leaving your pet at home while you are traveling saves you the stress of dragging it along. Take this quiz to learn more about hiring a pet sitter.
In order to find a pet sitter that will cater to the needs of your pet, interview different candidates and ask them about their experience.
A professional pet sitter should be able to show you proof of bonding and liability insurance coverage.
You will probably be charged per service that your require, so it is important to think about what exactly you need your pet sitter to do for you while you are gone.
It is important to tell your pet sitter about your pet's routine, including its favorite toy and where it likes to play, in addition to its complete medical history. Also, point out where food, leashes, cages, bowls and any other pet equipment are kept.
Give the pet sitter your vet's number in case your pet becomes ill or has an accident. Also, make sure the sitter knows where the vet is located and details of emergency centers that can treat your pet outside of business hours.
Cats usually meow to get their owner's attention. They rarely meow at other cats.
At the end of the day, the nature of your pet will determine how hard it will be to look after it. Much like children, if the pet has a difficult temperament, it will be more difficult to look after.
You will be responsible for ensuring there are enough pet supplies, including food and bathroom materials, at home for the duration of your trip. Your pet sitter will be responsible for making sure your pet is fed and toileted.
A pet sitter allows for you pet to stay home and keep its regular day-to-day routine.
You may want to get your pet sitter to act as a house sitter as well. This will probably increase the cost of the pet sitter, but is likely to cost less than hiring an extra person to house-sit as well.
Only 40 percent of cats are ambidextrous; the other 60 percent are right-pawed or left-pawed.
Dangle a ball of string in front of your cat. The paw that it uses to bat the ball of string is probably its dominant paw.
Pet sitting rates are usually between $10 and $20 per visit. However, there are many factors that can alter the price of your pet sitter.
The number of pets you have, the size of the pets and the amount of time you want the sitter to spend with your pets will affect the rate the sitter will charge.
Where you live will have a strong influence on the price of a pet sitter. If you live in New York City you will have to pay a lot more for a pet sitter than if you live in Kansas City.
The best way to conduct an interview is face-to-face. This allows you to familiarize yourself with the sitter and see how they react to and get along with your pet.
Not all pet sitters have experience with all types of pets, especially if you have an exotic bird or reptile. Also, ask your pet sitter exactly how much time he or she will be able to spend with your pet.
Professional sitters should be able to provide you with references. It is a good idea to ask for them and give the references a call.
A professional pet sitter will usually use a contract. It is important to get a copy in advance and to read it over carefully.
A good pet sitter may give you an evaluation form to fill out.