Quiz: Trailer Park or Bust Quiz
Topics
Trailer Park or Bust Quiz
By: Staff
Image: refer to hsw

About This Quiz

Today's mobile homes are not your granddad's trailers. In fact they don't even call mobile homes mobile any more. Instead they're called manufactured homes. Take this quiz and see what else you might not know when it comes to manufactured housing.

The term "mobile home" was discarded in 1976 when Congress passed the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standard Act.

The Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standard Act regulates the design, construction, strength and durability of manufactured housing, which are built off-site in a factory.

Modular homes are factory-built in two or more sections under the same tough federal, state and local building standards as off-site homes.

Because manufactured homes are built in a factory, workers can use building materials more efficiently than workers can at most site-built homes.

5.0 of 20
How much money can a homeowner expect to save on the construction of a manufactured home compared to the construction of a site-built home?

Consumers can save roughly 10 to 35 percent on home construction because manufactured homes are built in a factory where costs are more tightly controlled.

Some manufactured homes are less than 1,000 square feet, but can be as large as 5,000 square feet depending on the model.

7.0 of 20
Which of the following wind speeds should a manufactured home be able to withstand if it was built after 1994?

In 1994, the federal government mandated that manufactured homes need to withstand wind speeds of 110 mph and gusts of up to 130 mph in some regions of the country. Prior to this change manufactured homes only had to withstand wind speeds of 85 mph.

Panelized homes are factory-built homes, in which panels, such as a wall with windows, doors, wiring and outside siding, are transported to a site and assembled.

9.0 of 20
Approximately how many people live in manufactured housing in the United States?

More than 17 million people live in manufactured housing in the United States.

10.0 of 20
What percentage of homeowners own their manufactured house?

Sixty-eight percent, or roughly 7.6 million people own their own manufactured home, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

11.0 of 20
What was the average sale price of a new manufactured home in the western United States in 2010?

The average sale price in the western United States for a new manufactured home was $78,000, down from $82,000 in 2009.

12.0 of 20
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, what was the average price for a manufactured home in 2010?

The average sale price of a new manufactured home in 2010 was $62,600, down from $63,100 in 2009.

13.0 of 20
Which region of the United States led the way with new placements of manufactured homes in 2010?

The South led all regions of the nation with 33,600 placements of new manufactured homes in 2010.

14.0 of 20
In 2010, which state led the way in manufactured home shipments?

More than 4,200 manufactured homes were shipped to Louisiana in 2010. The second largest shipment, 2,493, was to Florida.

15.0 of 20
In 2009, how many homes were located in manufactured home communities?

In 2009, about 75 percent of new manufactured homes were placed on private property, while the remaining 25 percent, or about 52,000, were sited in land-lease communities.

16.0 of 20
Which of the following is the average square footage for a "single" manufactured home?

The average square footage of a single manufactured home is 1,125, up from 1,062 in 2001.

17.0 of 20
What is the average square footage for a "double" manufactured home?

The average square footage of a double-wide manufactured home was 1,730.

18.0 of 20
In New England, what is the average sale price of a new manufactured home?

The average sale price of a new "double" manufactured home in New England is $68,800, slightly higher than the average national sale price.

19.0 of 20
What percentage of mobile homes are still titled like automobiles.

Two thirds of all mobile homes are still titled as automobiles, although most never move from their locations.

20.0 of 20
How are most mobile homes secured?

More than 87,000 mobile homes are secured with tiedowns, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Receive a hint after watching this short video from our sponsors.
quit
hint:
continue